Saturday 6 August 2022

3rd kit – Opinion.

Well, that’s all 3 kits out now for the season ahead – remember the times when the club would only-ever bring a new kit out every 2 or 3 seasons and, in many-a-season, only had 2 kits?

The top

As has been the case for some considerable time now, the 3rd kit-colours have nothing whatsoever to do with Manchester City Football Club, which I would have thought is the whole point. Instead, the club often try to find some link to the City of Manchester itself, which is an innovative and nice idea, I suppose. On this occasion, the club have said that this strip celebrates Manchester’s creativity with bright colours and bold details inspired by the city’s street art; whist the hopped design draws inspiration from the Manchester Worker Bee.

It’s ‘Fizzy Yellow’ & ‘Parisian Night’, in case you didn’t know and were wondering…

For me, we’ve definitely had far worse 3rd kits in recent years; some with truly horrendous colours which, I’ll say again, had sod all to do with MCFC. As far as ‘these kits go’, I don’t think this one is too bad.

Do you feel like you might have seen it somewhere before? Well, Celtic definitely had a very similar one as their away kit one season not so long ago; I’m quite sure Chelsea did too and I’ve even got a slight recollection that either QPR or Reading might have had a similar change strip too, at one point.

The shorts

Parisian Night in colour.

The socks

Fizzy Yellow in colour. Perhaps hoops consisting of both colours would have matched the top well…or would that have made the whole strip look a bit TOO hoopy?

First showing?

I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing our lads in this strip tomorrow, as our hosts will be kitted out in claret tops with light blue trim, light blue shorts and claret socks. I can’t, therefore, envisage us coming out of the tunnel in our home kit, even with our alternative maroon shorts option, nor our black & red-striped 2nd kit.

Speaking of which, whilst bored at home very recently recovering from-having Covid for the first ever time, my still-foggy mind wandered to the season ahead and, in particular, what kit we might wear in our opening game. That then lead me to-thinking just how many times our lads might get to wear our seemingly-popular, modern take on a classic Manchester City black & red kit (I like it a lot) and was shocked at just how little we might see it away from home, in the Premier League at least.

I’ve calculated (I did tell you I was bored at the time, didn’t I?) that we may only see its appearance in the league away from home…7 times from a possible 19!

Club’s home grounds where we don't need to / aren’t going to see it (or unlikely to), include Arsenal, Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Brentford, Crystal Palace, Liverpool, Manyoo, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, West Ham United & Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Thankfully, I’m recovered now…

No comments:

Post a Comment