Monday 28 October 2019

Saints – Part 1.


I’m seeing nothing about our manager holding a pre-match press conference ahead of tomorrow night’s game, so I’m sticking this blog-posting out now…


Etihad Stadium

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 10/11)

Fluid 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

___________________Aguero____________________






Sterling_________________________________Mahrez


_________Foden______________De Bruyne________

__________________Gundogan__________________

Angelino________________________________Walker


_____________Stones_______Otamendi____________




_____________________Bravo____________________


Claudio steps in to wear the gloves for this one.

I think we’ll certainly see a change to the wing backs from last Saturday, with Angelino & Kyle in for Mendy & Cancelo. However, I’m just not sure what Pep’s thinking might be with regards to the central defensive pair. With options limited even MORE following the sending off of Fernandinho last Saturday; on the one hand, he could well use this competition - and home-tie - to stick Garcia and Harwood-Bellis together for a much-needed go in the first team. I know that would certainly thrill a lot of City fans to see that bravery / trust from our manager against a Premier League side and with the issues that we’ve had at the back since Vincent Kompany’s departure in the summer. I’d like to see it to, tomorrow evening, but this is a “prediction” from me and I just feel that Guardiola will want to use Tuesday night’s game to say to John & Nicolas, “Go out there and show me that you can work well as a pair”. Sort of a…last chance before other options at central defence start to trickle back for us over time, if you like. I could well be wrong, of course.

I think Ilkay (to ‘go again’) will be asked to patrol in front of whoever it might be, with an attacking / creative 4 of Raheem (to ‘go again’), Phil (brought in), Kevin (to ‘go again’) & Riyad (brought in) ahead of the German.

Sergio to come back in with the rotation as it is with his striking partner, I would think.

Scott should be the reserve stopper for this game; Benjamin, Joao and Eric the defensive replacement choices from ‘the 7’. Bernardo & Gabriel might be joined by young, left-winger Jayden, I have a little hunch about, and if so - and the game suits - that should give us the option of resting / protecting Raheem fairly early on in the second half, at least.

So, if I’m right, we do have some youth included either in the starting 11 or on the bench, in the form of Angelino, Foden, Garcia & Braaf.

Notable absences:

-       Ederson – Not selected.
-       Oleksandr Zinchenko – Out for around 5 weeks following knee surgery.
-       Aymeric Laporte – Expected return of around March 2020.
-       Fernandinho – Suspended for this game following ‘2 yellows’ at the weekend.
-       Rodri – Expected to be ready in around 3 to 4-weeks’ time following a thigh injury.
-       David Silva – Not selected / rested.
-       Leroy Sane – Expected return of around January 2020.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?

Despite what I’ve said about the 2 central defensive positions, I do actually. A decent mix and a chance to rest / rotate & test a few ahead of our next league game which, as my headline suggest, is against the same opponents at the same venue on Saturday (3pm GMT).

Result? I actually don’t know how I feel about facing a team who’ve just been WHALLOPED 0-9 at home just 4 days earlier. On the one hand, they could-well, still be shell-shocked and may have been looking at each other for who to blame; leaving a sour taste in the camp and doubts about the manager, perhaps (it’s all me speculating, of course).

On the other hand, they may well spend at least 3 of those 4 days analysing and training hard to ensure that they don’t make whatever mistakes they may have made last Friday again; especially when-facing a as free-scoring as we can be. We could, therefore, be facing 2, very-tough defensive walls to break down; even harder than we’ve been used to!

However, having said all of that, this is the League Cup and I can see their manager having a look through his fingers at the league table and see that his team are already looking like they’re gonna enter a relegation scrap if they don’t turn things around ‘big time’ and quickly. Therefore, I can see them-also making personnel changes in preparation for meeting us again in the league fixture just 4 days later and for that reason alone, I think this’ll be a home win.

We might have to be patient again just as we had to be last Saturday (perhaps not) but either way, this is a home win and progression into the next round for me.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment