Tuesday 22 October 2019

Group stage – Game 3


Just over 72 hours after the final whilst blew in London, we host Northern Italian side Atalanta B.C.

With less than 10 hours to go, I’ll get straight to it…

v Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio

Etihad Stadium

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: A lowly 6/11, after Pep sprang a surprise or 3 on me against Palace at the weekend).

Fluid 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

____________________Aguero___________________






Sterling_________________________________Mahrez


__________D. Silva_____________De Bruyne________

___________________Gundogan___________________

Mendy__________________________________Cancelo


_________Fernandinho_________Rodri_____________




____________________Ederson____________________


Some ‘go agains’ and some rotation from last weekend's match, I would suggest with this quick-game-turn-around…

Ederson the obvious starter in net – and what an excellent performance from him at the weekend (I was so proud of the team as a whole, in fact)!

With John Stones available and me-questioning myself in mi-own-’ead as-to-whether Fernandinho could play 2 games in such a short space of time; I recalled that he looked ‘fit as a butcher’s dog’ on Saturday and despite a late rally from the home side, where he and his colleagues had to be sharp and ‘right on it’ to the very end; I’m going for Pep to ask him and the whole same-set of defenders to ‘remain a unit’ for tonight’s match. I think that decision, should it be the case of course, would come with big thoughts on the fact that Benjamin, Fernandinho, Rodders & Joao bring a massive amounts of Champions League experience.

Speaking of which, I suspect that Ilkay will be asked to play the deeper-midfield role again too, ahead of those 4.

Raheem on the left of attack and I think we’ll see Riyad being given a start on the opposite flank, despite a very good performance from Bernardo in that same slot last Saturday. Kevin & David highly likely to pair again in the middle, although I also had wobbles regarding David’s recovery time. If he & Kevin DO start and the scoreline allows, I can see both being withdrawn at some point to rest / protect ahead of the early KO on Saturday; a game that will be the 2nd of a 4-game home-fixture run!

Sergio to nudge Jesus aside for this one, I suspect.

Claudio as ‘back up’ to Ed; Oleksandr, Eric & John the defensive replacement options from the side. Phil, Bernardo & Gabriel make up the more attacking change-options from ‘the 7’.

Notable absences:

-       Angelino – Not selected.
-       Kyle Walker – On his way back / in progressive training following a stomach bug that has apparently left him thinner, weaker and not match-fit-ready.
-       Nicholas Otamendi – Recovering also from ‘a knock’, which I’m assuming he received on international duty or during training after he returned.
-       Aymeric Laporte – Expected return of around March 2020.
-       Leroy Sane – Expected return of around January 2020.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


Yeah, looks good to me.

Result? Well, here’s what I know about ‘the oppo’:

-       They sit 3rd in Serie A with just 1 defeat in 8.
-       They are the league’s current, top scorers (a little more on that in a second), however…
-       …they have the leakiest defence of the top 15 (out of 20) sides, with 13 conceded in 8 games. In fact, they impressively lead 0-3 away to Lazio last Saturday only for the home side to grab a 3-3 draw in the 92nd minute and with the help of 2 penalty decisions.

I'm sure there are others who contribute, of course, but to aid their attack, they have at least 2 players whose stats suggest that they pose a real threat going forward.

Their Captain, Papu Gomez, is an experienced and versatile Argentine Midfielder / Winger / Forward with plenty of goals (and assists, I’m sure) in him. Early signs are that much-travelled, pacey Columbian Luis Muriel has ‘found his club’ at Atalanta B.C., with 5 goals in 7 league games. Thankfully for us, top striker Duvan Zapata was injured in an international friendly during the last break in domestic play, as 29 league goals in 44 games is a very impressive return for the powerful-looking, 6’ 2” Colombian.

All things considered? I’m actually going for a draw. I just have to go with my 'City instincts' and hope otherwise, in the right way of course, that I’m wrong.

Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment