Thursday 4 July 2019

New kits – opinion.


New season starts soon’ish and these days, of course, that means new kits.

 

With one more (3rd / so-called “cup kit”) still to come, here’s our home / 1st-choice & 2nd / away kits for our delight or otherwise. 

 

They were officially released last Monday and I’m sure most of you have seen ‘em, but…

 

Home / 1st-choice



Blue, white & purple.

Now, it could have been far worse and at least purple is in the same spectrum of colours as our more-traditionally, associated maroon…but it would have looked dead smart if those purple bits could have been maroon. And if I could sound even more picky about one aspect of the top, our sponsors name would have looked better in white on that blue background.

Shorts? Fine, plain, nothing to comment on and I do very much like the sock design.

All in all, I think it will look really good on the pitch but the club – and our new kit supplier - have missed an opportunity, once again, to stick with our traditional colours with the purple and not maroon bit.

I’ll give it a good 8.5 / 10.

Away / 2nd kit




Hufff…here we go.

Black, with a pink trim, a sky-blue trim, yellow sponsors name and a black & yellow hazard tape design over one shoulder. Even without seeing it; if someone had described that to me, I think my facial expression would have looked confused and perhaps even slightly pained.

I dared to comment on one site about what I thought of the away kit and said it was another with colours that had nothing to do with Manchester City. A response pointed out that black was in our original kit when we were called St. Marks and I think the responder was missing the point.

Of course, I was talking about the yellows and pink bits and further noted that we do, indeed, have a history of black when we play in black & red stripes too. However, I pointed out that if you were to remove the badge and sponsors' name from this one and asked people which English club it belongs to, then I’m sure any correct responses would be a pure-fluke guesswork. Ask the same question if it were to be a red & black or maroon kit and you’d get many more correct answers, I would suggest.

You’ve probably guessed by now that I’m a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to kits and although I’m more than open to new designs; I believe there’s enough scope with either of our more-traditional away colours to keep it rotated and interesting (and the shirt sales high).

Tribute


Apparently, the design of our away kit is a ‘nod’ to Manchester’s cultural & industrial past; with the hazard tape being a link to the world famous, Hacienda club. That’s fair enough and very nice of whoever thought of it.

I’ve got no problem with that at all but if I was to give a message to our wonderful football club it would be to say, leave that sort of thing for your other, many pieces of merchandise and keep the colours of the actual football kits related to Manchester City Football Club.

For me, it’s as important as your national flag – you wouldn’t find someone suddenly messing with the colours of the flag of England, for example; not without huge outcry and, from my point of view, your football club’s team colours are just as important. Little moan over.

On the plus side, I do like the Puma design and the shirt itself looks good / well made. Shame about the mad colour additions and, so…

3 / 10

Let’s just hope our 3rd / cup kit doesn’t come out looking like a tropical fish or an explosion in a luminous paint factory, as we’ve seen in the last few seasons…

2 comments:

  1. You love to see the same damn boring colors, season after season after season, don't you? How utterly boring.....evidently, the away kit is setting early sales records, so it appears that there are plenty of City supporters who are eager to purchase it. No doubt you prefer that fuschia-colored monstrosity we wore a couple of seasons ago, a real vomit inducer for those of us who don't fancy maroon and its tawdry neighboring tones (read: fuschia!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Sorry for the delay in replying - I like to reply to my readers and anyone who takes the time to comment, which I very much appreciate.

      Well...personally I don't find our wonderful football club's traditional away colours of either maroon or black & red boring whatsoever. Furthermore, if MCFC were to use those famous colours, there are so many options design-wise. For example, with either colours, you've got the options of thick stripes, pin stripes, different-coloured sleaves, a sash or, as with our new 3rd kit, a blended style. Just with those 5 options alone - and there are more I'm sure - you've got 10-years' worth just with both of those traditional Maroon and black & red colours alone!

      You've then got the option of a class, white, 3rd strip with dashes of either of the 1st & 2nd incorporated into it. And, I'm sure, that will come back at some stage - I'm not anti-Puma already; some of the input must come from the club too.

      Of course they are setting early sales records - I'm not naive; it's a lot to do with 'for the kids'...with a strong element of, 'stick a badge on it and it will sell regardless' about it. It always has been and even more so in recent years.

      Fair doos to the club for that and I'm pleased for their sales results which, by the way, the club generally boasts about most seasons shirt / kit sales-wise.

      As for the fuschia kit we brought out a few years ago as a, sort of, maroon-type kit; it was...okay. I quite liked it - at least, for my taste, it was sort of traditional.

      As I say, I appreciate your comments and taking time to do so / read my blog - it's all about opinions and thank you again for that.

      Cheers Blue.

      Delete