Saturday 10 August 2013

Academy update.

As promised, I nipped down to the construction site of our new Academy site on Tuesday and have taken a few snaps for your interest and information.

 

 

Not a GREAT deal to look at yet to be honest. However, not only was access somewhat understandably limited…I didn’t check the flippin’ camera battery before I left the house! So I had to be both swift and selective; literally having to turn it on and quickly take a shot before it turned itself off again! I also had my mum in tow who had very reluctantly joined me before being taken to an appointment close by – I bet the Sharon, the Manchester City official Photographer, doesn’t have these problems whenever she’s out & about with her considerably larger and much better camera…

Sharon Latham
 
 
First of all, some pictures released on the WEB last year of the site…


Location
Artist impression

Tight squeeze


Even though I’d seen the artist impression above many times, I can’t get over when stood next to it just how close to the edge-corner the 7,500 (apparently) seater stadium was! It’s really squeezed in next to Manchester Road / Alan Turing Way. In fact, to me it doesn’t appear to leave much room for the planned bridge from the Etihad Stadium (over the junction of those two roads) to land at the new site. Having said that, the video below does show that the bridge soon splits off into two directions at the corner of the Academy Stadium (that's why I'm no Architect...).

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Some of the floodlights that will be used for the peripheral training pitches have been up for quite a few weeks now…

 

Opening for the 2014/2015 season, it’s not only “blue” but also very “green” from what I can recall being told last year.

  • Underground rainwater recycling units (already installed)
  • 3,000 imported German variety trees which, apparent, give off more oxygen that your “standard” tree
  • Importing of a certain variety of butterflies (the reason, which, escapes me – high pollinators perhaps?)
  • Importing of a particular type of field mice; known for its ability to help the soil in some way (I told you it was last year I heard all of this; don’t expect anything more technical than that…)
  • A winter garden area in one of the buildings
  • And, I’m sure, plenty of solar panels and energy saving & creating devices…

In addition, 100s of local jobs created and fantastic facilities for the local community; promoting social inclusion, health and education.

 
 
 

And finally the video I’m sure most of you have seen by now…

 

Manchester City – Ruining football since 23rd September 2008…

 

Didn't go...

So City had their 'City Live' event (or whatever it was called) the other night. I didn't go and didn't City just know about it - I got an e-mail from them the following day asking me why! So I told them that, basically, apart from it being good for the kids, I'm sure; I saw it as something of an embarrassment. To me it smacked of the Thaksin Shinawatra start-of-season party in Albert Square in 2007 and I told them that such parties should be done AFTER the season...if there's something to celebrate. I might sound like a right old Scrooge but it just seems slightly arrogant of us to be laying on such a thing before a proper ball is kicked...

Won't be seeing...

So it's Arsenal today in our last pre-season friendly. And where will I be? Somewhere between Stalybridge and Batley on a Real Ale Trail. Missing the game hurts a bit (I'm really getting the giddy bug now) but I suppose there are worse places to be when missing the Blues on TV. Slightly hung-over, I'm sure; I'll probably watch 'that lot' against Wigan tomorrow in the Community Shield.

 

More transfer movement before we start?

All has gone a little bit quiet on the transfer front (apart from this recently-linked Willian fella) with regards to defenders. Nastasic is out for up to 6 weeks with his ankle knock and there's no news about Lescott extending his contract...likewise with (the otherwise seemingly happy) Micah Richards. No news on Kolarov leaving (booooo...) and links with central defenders from a variety of clubs has cooled off somewhat.

Scott Sinclair appears to be on his way out (that was painful watching him being paraded on stage at the City Live event) but there's a stumbling block about whether it'll be on loan on a sale. Whether it's West Bromwich Albion, Newcastle United or someone else; I think both City and Scott want a permanent move to be resolved soon.

I can't see this being my last blog before the season starts so I'm sure we'll all know more by then...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment