Tuesday 9 April 2024

That was a ‘job done’ last Saturday…

…but tonight, if we play anywhere NEAR like we did last weekend, we'll most-certainly ‘get done’.

Looking back…

I thought there were some good individual performances, such as Ortega (again), Lewis, De Bruyne & Bobb. Grealish too, in his own, sometimes seemingly-languid way, contributed quite a lot too, overall.

However, there were way-too-many alarmingly-poor displays ahead of our Champions League quarter final away leg in my opinion – most notably Dias, Stones, Rodri 😲 & Alvarez; with the latter, for me, going thought a bit of a ‘off spell’ in general. Other players were just okay / so-so.

Our defence, from defensive midfield backwards, was a mess at times last Saturday and we simply gift-wrapped Palace’s 2 goals; offering them even more chances to score in the first half too.

I don’t like to single out individual players for criticism and rarely do so; particularly in my blog postings. However, following the game and whilst pleased with the end result and 4 goals scored; I was left feeling a little concerned just ahead of facing such a fantastic side on their own patch, as we do in a few hours’ time.

v Real Madrid

Santiago Bernabeu

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:

(Number correct from the starting line-up in the last game: 8/11).

I’ve gone BOLD here. Call me crazy if you like and I could be well wrong…

A very fluid 5-4-1 / 3-5-1-1 / 3-6-1:

____________________Haaland____________________

 

 

_____________________Foden_____________________

_______De Bruyne________________Silva___________

 

_____________________Rodri_____________________

Grealish___________________________________Lewis

 

__________Dias_______Stones_______Akanji________

 

 

_____________________Ortega____________________

Subs: Carson, Ederson, Gomez, Susoho, Kovacic, Nunes, Bobb, Doku & Alvarez.

Despite Ederson being deemed fit enough to be in the squad following injury, I’m guessing that Stefan continues in goal.

I think we might see a tweak in formation tonight and with a new face in the defensive unit too. Call it a back 3 or a back 5 but I’m sticking my neck out to suggest that we could see Jack in a left-wing back position 😲. Rico on the opposite flank with Ruben, John & Manuel in the middle of those.

Rodders in the defensive midfield position, with Kevin, Bernardo & Phil ahead of the Spaniard; with Phil more advance in “the number 10” position.

Erling up front.

9 from a possible 12 on the bench include 2 stoppers in the form of Scott & Ederson, while Sergio is the lone defender on the side. Mahamadou, Mateo, Matheus, Oscar & Jeremy make up the midfielders / wingers in ‘the 9’, with Julian as the reserve striker option.

Notable absences:

-       Josko Gvardiol – Has travelled but he’s a doubt and if he’s a doubt, the last thing he needs is to push himself in a game away at Real Madrid.

-       Kyle Walker – Injured and hasn’t travelled. However, the England international was seen training alone, which is progress at least.

-       Nathan Ake – Injured; hasn’t travelled and there’s still no update regarding a return date.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?

Looks good to me – looks solid with a good-attacking threat too.

Result? Will we lose? I don’t think so. Will we win? I honestly don’t think so either.

Will we concede? I don’t think there’s much doubt about that going off our record this season, I’m sorry to have to say, and that’s despite this predicted line-up looking strong; defensive injuries notwithstanding.

Will we score? By now, with what I’ve already said, the obvious answer is that I think we will.

Therefore, I’m going for a score draw…and I’ll take that ahead of the return leg back home.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result:

Prediction: N/A (met ‘em in the semi-final last season)

Result: N/A (met ‘em in the semi-final last season)

Expected weather conditions during the game: IN SHARP contrast to ‘back home’ – another drowning for Mancunians and UK residents alike 😠 – 13 to 15C with clear skies and no wind sounds like utter bliss! Perfect weather for a heated battle on the pitch.

Solidarity


1 comment:

  1. We were good last night and should have won the game. which hopefully we won't regret

    ReplyDelete