Friday 22 July 2022

New away kit – opinion

It feels like it’s taken for ever, since the release of the home kit, for the second strip to be released but here it is and here’s what I think, for what it’s worth…

The top

Gonna save myself some time here, folks, by copy & pasting what I wrote on the survey that Manchester City sent me today.

Under the heading, “What do you like…”, I wrote:

Well, first of all it’s the fact that we’ve gone with a traditional away kit that can finally be recognised as / associated with MCFC – not before time and long may that policy continue!

And I think what has been proven with the diagonal stripes is that you can have tradition but still be innovative / stylish at the same time. Love it.

Love the ship & CITY on the back of the shirt, and the gold badge on the front / gold in general seems to work with the black & red.

Now, before I continue onto what I wrote under the heading, “What do you dislike…”, I need to explain to those who don’t know that there are two different styles to the back of the shirt – one that the fans are able to buy and a different one that the players will be wearing.

Hey? Yer-wot mate?

That’s right. If you’re a fan planning on buying the shirt then this is what you’ll get…

…but if you’re a player, this is what you’ll be wearing for the 2022 / 23 season:

Here’s what I wrote on that very fact:

I have scaled this planned response back since the official release of the shirt by the club because in the days leading up to its release; there were leaked pictures of a big black void on the back but with a continuation of the diagonal stripes at the bottom, which looked really odd and, which, instantly put me off purchasing the shirt. Thankfully for the fans, we can buy the shirt that has just a full plain back; sadly, the players have to look a bit silly with the continuation of the diagonal stripes at the bottom.

Not that I’m complaining as I think the fans get a better deal of the two but…why are they different? I’ve never known the player’s shirts and the so-called “replica” shirt to be different before.

I think it would have been better to-have-just-had a continuation of the diagonal stripes on the back too and is why I have had to click 4/5 rather than 5/5.

There you have it, people. Has anyone else ever known, in our history of producing replica kits, for it to be different to the ones worn by our heroes? Can it indeed be DEEMED a replica? I’d say no but moving on…

The shorts

Nothing much needs saying really apart from, as I’ve said about the shirt, the gold seems to work well with the black.

The socks

Yeah…nice.

NEXT UP, KIT WISE…

…brace yourselves for a ‘Fizzy Yellow’ & ‘Parisian Night’ 3rd strip.

Articles on the near horizon…

-       A short, formation & personnel piece about our two pre-season games in the USA

-       A pre-match Community Shield blog-posting

-       An article on the things I’m looking forward to in the 2022 / 23 season

-       A pre-match blog-posting ahead of our opening league fixture away at West Ham United

Hopefully so anyway – it’s been a bit of a strain just producing this piece today, as for the first ever time, I caught Covid-19 last Monday and every time I think it’s going away and I’m getting on top of it; the little bugger pushes back again in one way or another.

Stay safe everyone and thanks, as always, for taking the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment