Saturday 11 September 2021

Soup?

Did anyone see Pep’s pre-match press conference yesterday? It wasn’t quite Eric Cantona’s, “When seagulls follow the trawler…” but our manager’s Ferran Torres "soup" comment did have me double and even triple-checking that’s what he said (8:53 in the video below)…


And so…

Does anyone remember singing – or hearing being sung – the, “Soup for Kevin Horlock” song in the late 90s early 00s? Of course, it was meant to be, “Super Kevin Horlock”; a player who divided fans a lot of the time but one, I thought, was a really steady player in an otherwise turbulent period.

Anyway, I digress…

With memory fading, in parts, on that particular period, I could have this story a little wrong. However, it basically goes that when the song, “Super Kevin Horlock…” was being sung, one fan – or set of fans – thought that it was, “Soup for Kevin Horlock…” that was being bellowed out. Either that or I seem to recall that some fans – whether that be ours or his previous club, Swindon Town / their fans – WERE, in fact, singing “Soup for…” because they didn’t think he was very good. Whichever is the case, poor Kev even got the nickname, “Soup-for” by some City fans.

I believed then, as I still do to this day, that it was an affectionate nickname more than anything else…

But now…

…surely, we have to grab this little opportunity and bring this old song back for our rising star, Ferran Torres. Ladies & gentleman, I simply give you…

Soup for, soup for Fez;

soup for, soup for Fez.

Soup for, soup for Fez;

soup for Ferran Torr-es.

(I’m hoping you know how the tune goes)

I don’t know what Manchester City or other football forums you may be on or even if you only occasionally post a comment on a Manchester City article but I urge you to put this suggestion ‘out there’ wherever possible!

Just a bit of fun so let’s see if we can get this sung from the stands both home & away…and starting this afternoon, even!

Lastly, I don’t mind admitting that I’m pretty decent at making a whole variety of soups as well as stews & hashes etc. and I don’t live all that far away from the training ground. Basically, what I’m suggesting in case anyone from City is reading (yeah right) is that I don’t mind supplying his dinners if they think it’ll help with the Spaniard’s development… 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment