Wednesday 14 April 2021

The last time we…

…received a bucket of cold water in the face in the form of a home defeat, we went on to win 6 games in a row; scoring 16 goals and conceding just 3. If we repeat that feat, we’d find ourselves in the semi-finals of the Champions League, the final of the F.A. Cup; we’d have likely wrapped up the League title and would have another League Cup sitting in our trophy cabinet.

Sounds great…but I think some of our players need to step up a gear or two now and show some consistency for that to happen.

A quick look back on that very defeat…

First of all, I thought it was a crackin’ game – one that you just couldn’t take your eyes off for a second for fear of missing something, the pace was that frenetic. I did, for a moment, and initially missed the horrible challenge that eventually led to Leeds going down to 10-men.

We played well, in the main I thought, and pressed really, REALLY well. John Stones had an outstanding game and I was shocked to see the Manchester Evening News awarding him “just” a 7/10. He easily gets an 8.5/10 from me.

I think mentions also have to go to Nathan Ake, Fernandinho & Oleksandr Zinchenko; the latter, of which, got a rare, largely-defensive midfield role.

But…my word do we need to practice, once again, shooting and in-the-box decision making!

Lots and lots…and LOTS of credit has to go to the visitors for the way they defended (and for their clinical counter attacks) but for us to create so many opportunities and have only 7 shots ‘on target’ from 29 efforts is, once again, a little alarming…and harks back to many-a-period that has seen us shoot ourselves in the foot; leaving some City fans questioning some players abilities and even MORE City fans calling for a killer-striker to be bought ASAP. It’s hard to disagree with them for the most part.

For all his creative talent and hard work – and I really like him by the way – I thought Bernardo Silva was fairly ineffective at the weekend. And although he got the goal, I was hoping to see more from Ferran Torres’ starting opportunity; a player who, I think, has ability aplenty but seems to be suffering ‘first season settling-in syndrome’…although I say that with a big nod towards the fact that he has been getting limited ‘game time’ and, therefore, doesn’t get the opportunity to build any momentum.

Joao Cancelo too – a player seemingly re-born and reinvented but one who seems to be slowly reverting back to the less-than-impressive, expensive purchase that had many of us scratching our heads. I hope that stops and reverses very soon.

But the biggest concern for me, though, is the BIG drop-off in form of one Raheem Sterling. Putting it bluntly, he’s regressed. He’s regressed to the player many City fans warned others about when we were about to sign him way back in 2015…before he was turned into a rampaging, creative / goal machine (facts don’t lie).

But there’s something that just seems to ‘click’ in his head from time to time and in most seasons, which turns him into some kind of dithering mess in the final 3rd and, most certainly, in the opposition box; despite his impressive assist & goals stats per games played.

I don’t know what it is…and I’m not sure Pep does either. Not fully anyway.

But one thing is for sure – and I’m not just pointing the finger at Raheem nor any of the others that I’ve mentioned less favourably (and I’m certainly not going to waste my time talking about Benjamin Mendy or HIS performance last Saturday) – is that with very tough, crucial games coming up in 3 cup competitions in the coming weeks, we need some of our players to step back up to the level we all know they are capable of; find that extra bit of quality and strong-mental belief & consistency to truly become, record-breaking, Manchester City legends.

v Borussia Dortmund

Signal Iduna Park

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:

(Number correct from the starting line-up in the last game: 7/11).

Fluid 5-1-4-0 / 3-7-0:

______________________________________________

 

 

Foden___________________________________Mahrez

 

___________De Bruyne________Gundogan__________

 

______________________Rodri____________________

Zinchenko________________________________Walker

 

__________Laporte_____Stones______Dias__________

 

 

_____________________Ederson___________________

Subs: Steffen, Trafford, Cancelo, Mendy, Ake, Garcia, Fernandinho, Silva, Sterling, Torres, Jesus.

Ederson continues to take charge of the gloves…although he too just needs to keep an eye on a certain aspect of his game, I would suggest; stop some silly-dangerous play and realise that, sometimes, ‘wellyin’ it’ is the preferred / safer option.

Now…I could be WAY off here by suggesting that our manager is gonna go with 3 central defenders along with 2 wing-backs…and a defensive midfield tonight (8:00pm KO BST). Then again, I could be right with the formation but-then-there-are-so-many personnel options that we have at our disposal, the permutations any numerous. Laporte could be used as left-wing back and Nathan Ake could take up the left-side of ‘the 3’ or, of course, Cancelo could be given either of the wing-back positions etc. etc. Anyhoo…I’ve gone for a back-3 of Aymeric, John & Ruben which, on paper, looks like a pretty formidable wall to say the least. Kyle is on the right and I’ve gone for Oleksandr on the left flank, despite him-playing the whole 95+ minutes last Saturday. I’ve gone for the 24-year-old Ukrainian purely on decent form and tireless work rate; something I assume his manager will have observed and will want to reward him for.

Rodders is the defensive midfielder and then, ahead of the Spaniard, it’s an attacking quartet of Phil, Kevin, Ilkay & Riyad with no striker.

“Just” yer 11 on the bench from an-allowed 12 still allows scope for 2 keepers which, in our case, comes in the form of Zack & James (sounds like a children's double act). Joao, Benjamin & Eric are the trio of reserve defenders while Fernandinho, Bernardo, Raheem, Ferran & Gabriel make up the midfield / wing / attacking change-options from the side.

Notable absences:

-       Sergio Aguero – Hasn’t made the squad due to a slight muscle injury. It’s nothing major, we are told.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?

Not only do I like the look of this set-up for this-particular fixture but I fully endorse it!

Well…I say “fully” – if I thought that Fernandinho was capable of putting in another lively shift having also played 95+ minutes just 4 days earlier, then I might be inclined to give our Brazilian skipper Rodri’s spot. Although, having said that, I would have some trepidation about that decision; having noticed in recent appearances that our captain’s old trait of becoming a little too rash in his challenges has crept back into his game, which could be a liability in such a crucial, deciding fixture.

But I’d like that set-up and if Rodri could have an 8/10 game - helping the 3 defenders behind him - then I think that would provide a very solid base to allow a marauding, attacking 4 midfielders / wingers plus 2 wing-backs to pepper the German side’s defence from all angles.

Result? I think it’s time for experienced players / leaders in our squad to step up and ‘rally the troops’ for this one and if they can create a strong mindset throughout the whole team and all play to their potential tonight; then I can honestly see us winning this leg too.

Of course, they have attacking threat in abundance but in their league fixture since we last met, which was away at mid-table Stuttgart, they conceded twice and it took an 80th minute goal to secure all 3 points for Die Schwarzgelben.

They can be ‘got at’…and they have to come at us tonight to stand ANY chance of progression to the semis.

I think we need to score too, though, and I believe we will; especially if our attacking players have the confidence to go forward knowing that we have the personnel at the back to protect our goal…hence my prediction of how Guardiola might want to set up; giving our forward-thinking players ‘peace of mind’.

Although a draw – and even a 3-2 defeat - would still clinch the round for us, I’m going for a City win.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…

Prediction: N/A

Result: N/A

Expected weather conditions during the game: Largely overcast, dry, with a slight northerly breeze and nippy, at just 5 or 6C. No game-influencing conditions at all.

 

2 comments:

  1. very good steve, I think this is without doubt,the defining game of the season. should we win it gives us belief and confidence for the next game/games.
    I think Walker will play as an orthodox right back with possibly Laporte at left back(for me the 3 at the back v fulham took too long to "get it right"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Steve.

    Definitely - I think a win would be like having the best tonic injected into all the players!

    Yep, could well be a more-traditional back 4, not least for the reason you say.

    ReplyDelete