Saturday 7 November 2020

Vital 3 points?

Well, of course you’d have to say that it is with our visitors being the current League Champions; top of the league this season at the moment (as I begin typing this the day after our win over Olympiacos) and, therefore, one of our title rivals.

But without wishing to sound for one SECOND like I’ve already resigned myself to dropping points on Sunday; this season is so flippin’ crazy where, after just 6 or 7 games every team has suffered at least 1 defeat; it wouldn’t be a massive blow not to win this one at this stage of the season, in my opinion, with more shock points likely to be dropped by most sides in the 7+ months that lie ahead.

Of course, though, I’ll be punching the air with delight if we grab ‘all 3’ and shoot up the table / close the gap on our visitors!

Quick word on last Tuesday…

I thought our football in the first half was mesmerising at times! Really ‘zippy’, quick interplay up front that had the hard-working, visitor’s defence in a spin at times.

The second half, however, was a game of 2 halves in itself – what the ‘eck happened to us in the first 20-25 minutes after half time…and what on earth happened to Phil Foden?! It was like we’d started to fear the opposition and I don’t know whether Olympiacos had tweaked something tactically that unsettled us and, if so, well done them; but we looked panic stricken for a time!

Thankfully, we settled down; regained our composure and finished the Greek side off. They looked gutted that they didn’t at least share the points on the night.

I think if you’d have told me at half time that we’d go on to win it 3-0 then I would have responded by saying, “And well deserved too!”. I think we did deserve to win it overall but perhaps over ‘the 90’, 3-0 possibly flattered us just a little.

I’m not complaining though and want to give special mention to Nathan Ake, who I thought looked so comfortable & assured in a Champions League game; Oleksandr Zinchenko who had one his better games and looked pretty sharp and Ferran Torres, who continues some fine form in a central role and who looks a powerful, energetic & determined player; full of skill and appears to have the ability to finish with both feet as well as his head.

Great to See Gabriel Jesus back too and that was a crackin’ finish, assisted by Champions League debutant, Felix Nmecha!

I’ve not read reports but seeing the result, Atalanta 0-5 Liverpool, it sounds very impressive indeed. I put ‘em down in a score predictor as 2-3; convinced that they’d win but concede a couple.

Both of those results certainly set this one up nicely…

v Liverpool

Etihad Stadium
Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:

(Number correct from the starting line-up in the last game: 8/11).

Fluid 4-2-4 / 4-2-3-1:

____________________Jesus____________________

 

 

___Sterling__________________________Torres____

__________________De Bruyne___________________

 

___________Gundogan_______Rodri______________

Cancelo_________________________________Walker

 

____________Laporte_________Dias______________

 

 

___________________Ederson___________________

Subs: Trafford, Zinchenko, Ake, Stones, Foden, Silva, Mahrez.

Ed in net.

A nice / sensible rest for both Aymeric & Ruben in midweek sees them return fresh for this big test and I’m going for both Joao & Kyle to flank those two. Kyle will surely need a rest soon, though, and I was a little surprised to see the England defender not only start in midweek but stay on for 82 minutes ahead of this fixture.

I think we’ll see our boss start with a defensive pairing of Ilkay & Rodders just ahead of the defence itself, although I expect one or both to ‘jib forward’ and help with attacks whenever possible; that being more likely the German.

I think we’ll then see a very fluid, attacking 4 ahead of those, with Raheem; Kevin, who I think has lost a little sharpness of late / hope it returns tomorrow, in-form Ferran reverting to the right and just back from injury, Gabriel, ‘up top’.

Young keeper, James, might get another bench spot as back-up to Ederson; Oleksandr, Nathan, who might feel unlucky not to find a starting place on the left, and John are the defensive replacement options from ‘the 7’. Phil, Bernardo & Riyad are the midfield / wing options from the side.

Notable absences:

-       Zack Steffen – No idea. Still injured?

-       Scott Carson – For Scott, read Zack.

-       Benjamin Mendy – Injured and still no updated news on his progress nor an expected return date.

-       Eric Garcia – Not selected.

-       Fernandinho – From the announcement of his injury a few weeks back, he should now be about 2 to 4 weeks away from a return.

-       Sergio Aguero – Continues to make progress and the hopes are still that he’ll be available after the up & coming international break.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?

If I’m right, I totally get the slightly-cautious-looking posture of that line-up against a potent-attacking Liverpool side; with Ilkay & Rodders in tandem in front of the defence. So yeah, with regards to the shape, I’m quite happy with a formation that can be both solid but also very attacking; with a dedicated, ‘forward-thinking 4’ supported, also, by attack-minded wing-backs.

Result? Huffff…close.

From the day after our last game I’ve been bouncing from win to draw; to win…and back to draw again. At least I’ve not thought of a defeat.

I’m SO close to thinking that this is a win for us, particularly with a better-looking defence, but I just can’t get a draw out of my head, which I’m going for.

I hope, as in last year’s corresponding fixture, I’m wrong again…

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…

Prediction: Draw

Result: Won

(Pre-match blog posting from that game)

Expected weather conditions during the game: Shame really – after a few lovely, clear-sunny, Autumn days it’s gonna be dull and possibly a little drizzly for this one. Not that there’s any fans for that to spoil it for, of course, but…you know what I mean. 11 / 12C is the match temperature, which, along with some light wet stuff, should keep the players cool in an otherwise-potentially hot game.

No comments:

Post a Comment