Thursday 2 July 2020

Can this surely be classed…

…as a ‘dead rubber’ game?! Manchester City v Liverpool in these times of such close rivalry? Will either or both managers see it like that?

As I type this opening gambit before any pre-match press conferences have been conducted, it’s so hard to say for sure.

Perhaps professionalism & pride will play a big part in determining what approach both teams & managers take – I can see Liverpool wanting to go out ‘n’ prove just WHY they won the league so comprehensively and express some celebratory feelings in front of us; whereas I can see our manager & players secretly hurting and wanting to put on a show of our own, after we’ve given our hosts their first guard of honour.

Either way, I hope that whatever our approach may be, Pep will have instilled in his players that Liverpool have nothing but professionalism (and records) to play for now; whereas we have to be mindful that we still have a job to do to secure 2nd place, as well as TWO MORE cup competitions to compete in (after tucking away both the Community Shield and League Cup)!

Don’t get ‘rolled over’ but don’t go mad, is a strange but necessary message I think Guardiola has to try an’ portray to his players…

The Swarm!

I can’t honestly remember ever seeing such a sustained spell of complete dominance of one football team over another as I witnessed in the first half against Newcastle United last Sunday evening. We were like…yellow an’…pink hornets all over the penned-in home side!

I’ve heard the expression in football, regarding one side dominating the other, where it’s said that the grounds’ staff may-as-well not-have-bothered mowing the other half of the pitch but in THAT case, last Sunday and in the first half; they may-as-well not-have-bothered much trimming the grass outside of Newcastle’s penalty area!

Excellent performance, especially by Kevin & Raheem, and only marred by one suicidal, defensive error again, which we thankfully got away with this time.

Progression to Wembley in yet-another semi-final – I just hope it’s an all-blue final…

v Liverpool

The games are just coming so think ‘n’ fast, so straight to a predicted line-up etc.

Etihad Stadium

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:

(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 6/11).

Fluid 5-4-1 / 3-7-0:

______________________________________________

 

_____________________Jesus____________________


___Sterling___________________________Mahrez___

 

_____________De Bruyne____Foden______________

Mendy_________________________________Cancelo

 

___________Laporte____Garcia____Walker_________

 

 

_____________________Ederson__________________

Subs: Bravo, Zinchenko, Otamendi, Stones, Rodri, Doyle, Gundogan, D. Silva, B. Silva.

Okay…I’m having a BIT of a play here and, perhaps for once, I’m mixing up what I think Pep might do with what I might be inclined to against the new champions of England.

It is, however, a type of formation we have seen our manager deploy at times and one that, I would suggest, might be of some use tonight.

Ederson back in net after his bench spot in last Sunday’s cup game.

Then…a back-3 / back-5, call it what you will, with attacking wing-backs in the shape of Benjamin & Joao (with more emphasis on attack than defending in this formation) and a central defensive 3 of Aymeric, a returning [from injury] Eric & Kyle. For once, that’s a defence that as some decent pace in it.

Although he has seen a lot of game time since the restart, I just can’t see our manager not starting Kevin for this one, although Guardiola is full of surprises of course. Should the Belgium midfielder start, I think we’ll see the energy of Phil next to him after a little time out with a dead leg.

And then finally, either side of and slightly ahead of them, we have Raheem, Gabriel & Riyad in a fluid attack system.

Claudio made a surprise return last Sunday but now takes his place on the bench as reserve keeper; Oleksandr, Nicolas & John are the defensive change-options from the side. Rodders, Tommy, Ilkay, David & Bernardo are the more creative / attacking subs in ‘the 9’.

Notable absences:

-       Fernandinho – Suspended for the 2nd of 3 domestic games.

-       Sergio Aguero – Recovering from knee surgery.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?

IF he goes with something like this then yes, I'd be happy with this set up against Liverpool - it has both defensive and attacking qualities in equal measure.

Result? Hufff…flip a coin. Seriously, this is one occasion where I can honestly say that I’m not even getting an instinctual vibe about what the outcome might be. Therefore, short ‘n’ sweet, a fence-sitting draw from me.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…

Prediction: Draw

Result: Won

(Pre-match blog posting from that game)

Expected weather conditions during the game: Nothing much happening at all. Just a light breeze, no rain and fairly cool for the players at-between 13 & 15C.

Follow me

To both new and regular readers, I wanted to draw your attention to the ‘Follow my Blog’ feature that I’ve only just added near the top-right-side of my Blog page. If you like my ramblings, then please click and do just that.

Thank you.

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Liverpool fan and this is a very balanced blog, enjoyed reading your thoughts and not falling into the trap of being biased or bitter lol

    I agree that it's near impossible to call really depends how Liverpool turn up, because I guarantee City players will show up desperately wanting to flex their muscle, due to 1) giving the guard of honour, 2) want to beat the recently crowned champions whom the media have been going on about how amazing they have been (im a liverpool fan and its melting me a bit also), 3) wanting to remind Liverpool that its not going to be so easy next season AND 4) because of the genuine rivalry....if Liverpool show up with the mentality that the league is over then City will win easily enough, if we show up and want to prove a point that we haven't finished the season in our minds then it'll be a cracker of a game.

    Either way, good luck City for the rest of your games and look forward to the challenge next season...hopefully with maybe chelsea throwing a challenge in too (tho not that mhanky mob thats also from manchester)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Nice to get comments from fans of any team - thank you for taking the time to both read & comment.

      And thanks once again for your kind words - I do try to be balanced in all that I write; saying how I see it and trying not to allow my heart to rule my head.

      A big "well done" for winning the league and by so many points too! And yep, as for the game, it really could go either way for all the many reasons as you've said.

      Delete