Monday 6 January 2020

Thick & fast


And no, I’m not talking about Benjamin Mendy

 

I’m someone who loves domestic football – both league & cups alike. In fact, I love Manchester City and ‘all things domestic’ so much, I can often be found bemoaning international breaks on Blue chews-daze, at times; especially when it’s just for friendly matches.

 

But…WOW, it’s hard to keep up with the rate of games at the moment! 27th December, 29th and 1st January saw 3 Premier League games in those 5 days and just 3 days after that, we had a good ol’, fast-pace tussle in the F.A. Cup 3rd round; albeit a 4-1 win in the end.

 

And still there’s no rest for the players – another 3 days later and it’s an away-game-derby in the 1st-leg semi final of the League Cup!

 

Our players might go into shock after that, as they have a WHOLE 5-DAY GAP before our next game!


v Manyoo


Old Trafford

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 6/11).

Fluid 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

____________________Jesus_____________________






_____Sterling_______________________B. Silva_____

__________________De Bruyne___________________

_________________________Gundogan___________

________________Rodri_________________________

Mendy___________________________________Walker

__________Fernandinho_____Otamendi____________




____________________Ederson___________________


I suspect we might see a similar formation deployed against Arsenal in our away trip there, a few weeks ago…

Ederson back in net!

A back-4 of Benjamin, Fernandinho, the recovered-from-illness Nicolas & Kyle.

Rodders to be the deeper-lying of two ‘protecting midfielders’; Ilkay joining him in that role(s), I suspect. Higher up from those, I thinking it’ll be ‘a 3’ of Raheem, Kevin & Bernardo.

Gabriel to ‘pop back in’ up front I suspect, to give Serg some respite.

Claudio ‘takes a seat’ as the reserve stopper; Oleksandr, Joao & John provide defensive cover on the bench. David, Riyad & Sergio are the more creative / attacking choice-options in ‘the 7’.

Notable absences:

-       Aymeric Laporte – Back in contention, by all accounts! However, I think he’ll be, understandably, ‘eased back in’ and, so, not risked for this particular encounter.
-       Angelino – Not selected.
-       Phil Foden – Not selected.
-       Leroy Sane Continues to work on his comeback routine, following searious, long-term injury. Not quite ready to take full training with his team-mates but not dar off, by all accounts and unless he ‘breaks down’; I can’t see it being too long before we see him being considered in the match-day squad. I'm thinking the end of January...

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


Looks good to me!

Result? My confidence is high for this one, despite decent attacking threat from our hosts.

I’m quite sure they’ll nick a goal but we’re a far better side than these and in decent form too. I’ll think we’ll be taking a win into the second leg.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment