Tuesday 24 September 2019

Lots of changes v PNE


Opponents not to be taken likely at all; I’m gonna ‘stick my neck out’ and suggest a lot of changes [from last Saturday] against The Lilywhites.


v Preston North End


Deepdale

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 9/11).

Fluid 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

____________________Jesus____________________






Zinchenko______________________________Sterling

____________Foden__________Bernabe___________


__________________Gundogan___________________

Mendy_________________________________Cancelo


____________Garcia_________Otamendi___________




_____________________Bravo____________________


It’s always very difficult to guage what a manager might do in situations like ours when faced against a side in a lower division in the 3rd round of the League Cup. I think, in our case, it’s gotta be a case of 'mixing it up' with first-team players who need a game and giving some of the younger players some experience too. That’s what I’m going for with this prediction.

Claudio gets his chance between the sticks for the first time since a raft of games in pre-season, where he impressed.

I think we’ll see starts for both Benjamin & Joao at left & right-wing backs and they should relish this opportunity to 'stretch their legs'. I can see Nicholas being asked to start again and should be partnered by Eric, I would think.

Ilkay is likely to get the deeper-lying midfield role tonight, while we should see Phil recovered enough to get a start. 'Sticking my next out' a little here; but I’m going for Phil to be partnered in attacking midfield by Adrian; an 18-year old Spaniard who impressed in pre-season. Either side of those, I think we’ll see Raheem mainly on the right – slipping-in behind the striker at times and allowing Bernabe to cover on the right flank when called upon – and I’m going for Pep to reward Oleksandr with a rare outing in his more-favoured, attacking left position.

Gabriel to lead the line for this one.

Scott should make his bench debut as cover for Claudio, with Angelino & Taylor providing defensive cover for the left-side as well as the centre. Felix is likely to make the bench as a central midfield change-option, with Bernardo, Ian & Sergio providing cover in more attacking positions.

Notable absences:

-       Ederson – Takes a “rest” for this one.
-       Aymeric Laporte – Expected to be ready around March 2020.
-       Kyle Walker – Takes a ‘back seat’ tonight, I would think.
-       Fernandinho – Protected / rested.
-       Rodri – Another rested regular.
-       Kevin De Bruyne – Given a night off also.
-       Leroy Sane – Expected to be ready for a return around January 2020.
-       David Silva – Likely to be asked to rest those 33-year old legs for this one.
-       Riyad Mahrez - Not risked either.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


I like the look of that ‘mixed bag’, should he go with that (or similar).

Result? Let’s have it right, we’re not playing a League 1 or 2, mid-table side here – our hosts are 3rd in the Championship on goal difference; are the joint-2nd top scorers in their league and are have won 4 and drawn one in their last 5. Pep only needs eyes to see those stats and isn’t a manager to disrespect the opposition, which we saw very clearly last season in the domestic cups.

I know I have suggested a lot of changes and some youth inclusion but, should Pep do that, it’s still a very strong side he’d be putting out and it’ll need to be, in my opinion.

Conditions, which I’ll come onto soon, and a large, noisy home crowd will make things tricky for sure and I can see Preston finding the back of our net (although I am aware that I say that quite a lot and we then go on to keep a clean sheet).

Still…I do think they’ll score and we’ll need all our talent on display to put in a good shift. Do that, and I think we progress to the 4th round, which is what I’m going for. Should be a good game!

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment