Saturday 3 August 2019

The “Curtain raiser”


That’s what it’s often referred to as. Others say it’s simply a 'glorified friendly' while others use it as a 'temperature guage' to see where teams are with their preparations; particularly in this situation where it’s two-close-rival teams who will be fighting for the Premier League title.

 

Particularly with this fixture coming too early for some players from both teams due to summer, international tournaments; I fall somewhere in-between all of those opinions. 

 

Looking forward to it…IF I get to watch it!




Wembley

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 10/11).

Fluid 4-6-0 / 4-1-4-1:

_______________________________________________


____________________Sterling____________________



Sane____________________________________B. Silva

____________D. Silva_________De Bruyne__________


_____________________Rodri_____________________


Zinchenko_________________________________Danilo

_____________Laporte________Stones______________




_____________________Bravo______________________



I think we’ll see Claudio rewarded for some fine performances in pre-season and to end a decent run ‘between the sticks’ before, I’m sure, Ederson takes over the gloves 6 days later.

A likely back-4 of Oleksandr, Aymeric, John and, I think, we’ll see Danilo chosen on the right ahead of Kyle. A showcase game for the Brazilian? A farewell game for the ex-Real Madrid man? Possibly.

Rodders to sit in front of those and ahead of him in either an attacking 4 or 5 midfielders, however you want to see it with possibly no “recognised” striker, is likely to be Leroy, David, Kevin, Bernardo & Raheem. Huh…not bad hey?

Ed likely to be on the bench at least; Angelino, Kyle & Nicholas should make up the defensive replacement choices from the side (6 subs allowed in this game), with Phil, Riyad & Gabriel the likely creative, attacking options form 'the 7'.

Notable absences:

-       Benjamin Mendy – Still recovering from injury.
-       Fernandinho – Has not yet returned to the club / wouldn’t have been fit / ready. Return expected next week.
-       Ilkay Gundogan – Just got a feeling Phil will ‘get the nod’ over the German international for this one.
-       Sergio Aguero – Likely not to be risked ahead of next weekend - could be wrong...

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


Does it for me!

Result? So hard to judge these type of matches and I’m not looking at all at our very good pre-season against Liverpool’s poor results (is it right they lost all of their games?).

I’ve no idea where their squad is fitness, preparation and availability-wise but I like where our preparations are at and the look of that line-up for this one.

I think they’ll be goals both ends in ‘the 90’ but I’m going for that strong midfield of ours to be the difference. It’s a City win for me.

I just hope I get to watch it – I’m off to my nephew’s birthday party where I’m HOPING they have BT Sports and we’re allowed to have it on. If not…? I can’t even record it and ask people not to mention the game because I don’t have BT Sport.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A


No comments:

Post a Comment