Saturday 16 February 2019

Newport / pitch v Manchester City.


Well, I had to mention the pitch – everyone seems to be talking about it and it was mentioned SO many times in Pep’s pre-match press conference I lost count!

 

Personally, I’ve not seen it - I watched the highlights of their F.A. Cup game before the Boro one but wasn’t particularly drawn towards a bad pitch; one that has both rugby as well as The Exiles playing on it. 

 

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t gonna do a pre-game blog-posting before this evening's match due to family illness distresses all week and up to Thursday, which left me utterly exhausted yesterday. Instead, I’ll push out a very quick one in order to get it out on time (and please take time to read a small Blog announcement at the very end).


v Newport County A.F.C.


Rodney Parade

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 8/11).

Fluid 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

___________________Aguero____________________






Sane___________________________________Mahrez

___________D. Silva__________Foden_____________


_________________Fernandinho__________________


Delph____________________________________Danilo

____________Laporte_________Stones_____________




___________________Ederson____________________



Don’t forget folks, we’ve got an away Champions League game coming our way just 4 days after this game…

I think Ederson will have this one.

Slight change in defence? Well it’s not too much in my prediction but our manager might not want to risk Oleksandr ahead of Wednesday's game and after a fine performance last Sunday. Fabian, then, to be the ‘fodder’ for this one in the left-wing back slot. Danilo likely to take up the other flank and with our hosts having big, strong players in their ranks, I can see Guardiola sticking with Aymeric & John in the heart of our defence.

Again, with height in mind, I think Fernandinho might have to start this one at least; with the hope that there’s scope for him to be withdrawn ASAP ahead of our trip to Germany. Ahead of him, I think we’ll see the pairing of David & Phil with a return for Leroy on the left and Riyad on the right wing.

Sergio might be the better ‘rough & ready’ build for this encounter – that could be in Pep’s thinking and, which, I’m going for.

Aro the reserve stopper and then Oleksandr, Kyle & Nicholas provide defensive cover on the left, right & centre. Kevin, Raheem & Gabriel are the creative & attacking replacement-choices from the side.

Notable absences:

-       Claudio Bravo – Continues his rehab following serious injury.
-       Benjamin Mendy – Not ready to return, is the message from the manager.
-       Vincent Kompany – For Vinny, read Benny.
-       Ilkay Gundogan – Rested / Protected.
-       Bernardo Silva – Rested / Protected.

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


Yep, especially the non-weakening of the defensive midfield and inclusion also of our main & taller central defenders.

Result? I think it’ll be a really good game and I think the Welsh side might get a goal (watch for those set pieces Blues!). I hope it’s a clean game (5:30pm KO GMT) ending with 11v11 and that the pitch isn’t TOO much of an issue.

If all those factors happen, then I can see this being an away win. I’ve got a slight, edgy feeling about the game if I'm being honest and if we’re not careful / ‘on it’ and we will face a 12th man in the form of the home fans at a ground, I understand, that has had temporary seating installed taking the capacity from 7,850 to around the 10,000 mark.

I’m going for an away win but because it’s so hard to call in some ways, either a very close one or one where we’re almost out of sight just either side of half time.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A


Break in service.


I’m going away for a much-needed, short break in a few days and, therefore, they’ll be no Blog-postings ahead of our game on Wednesday night against FC Schalke 04 nor, sadly, before our League Cup final game against Chelsea; a game I'll definitely be watching though!

Sorry for the break in service and enjoy both games!

4 comments:

  1. No replays now from this round now Steve, got to finish today whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Werneth Blue.

      You know what, hours after posting the piece I was listening to TalkSport and in the second half of the AFC Wimbledon v Millwall game it was mentioned and reminded me of the change! I then forgot to alter my blog and was reminded again as I sat watching our game!

      Ooops...but thank you for the message - I always appreciate any feedback, including corrections. Cheers again.

      Good win - did all we could on what WAS a very bad pitch. They played well too - t'was a good cup tie. Thought Foden was excellent and really grew into the game; ironically as the pitch was getting worse. Good 7s and the odd 8 for most of the rest, I though. I do hope Mahrez has a better 2nd season and remind myself just how much Laporte looks so much better in his second season. Glad he scored one.

      Delete
  2. Hiya Steve, I agree about the good win, it was a typical thundering cup tie with the whole world, Bt sport, the bbc and all their dogs wanting an upset.
    Foden has a great future, natural ability and his movement off the ball is just superb when you watch him closely. Jury still out for me on Marhez, passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should pass. A bit greedy for me and doesn't seem to fit in with the ethos and plans Pep has brought to the team.
    I have a bad feeling about Crystal Palace so hope we avoid them tonight in the draw. Would like to miss Chelsea too as after we beat them on Sunday the law of averages creeps up :)
    What has happened to Delph? Thought he might play at the weekend. Zinchenko improves every game for me too. Glad he didn't leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. You're right about all of those wanting an upset; you could tell in the way it was commentated on and it was 2/3s-full of Newport fans in my local!

    Foden certainly does have a bright future and the longer he can remain under Pep's guidance the better. Mahrez sure has a lot to do and I agree, his decision making on most things is poor as is most of his shots and you're right; he's yet to fit in to our style.

    So...it's Swansea City away. Not too bad at all.

    Yes, I thought Delph would get a go weekend and I agree Zinchenko has definitely improved this season. I think if Sir Tweet-a-Lot, Mendy hadn't have been injured then Oleksandr might be playing his football at Wolves now.

    ReplyDelete